1A long plank making up part of a wooden floor in a building.
- The second double bedroom has polished wooden floorboards, a picture window and built-in wardrobes.
- The original stained timber floorboards are retained and there is a cast iron fireplace.
- I crept silently into the living room, wincing when a hardwood floorboard creaked under my weight.
1.1North American The floor of a motor vehicle: the keys had fallen on the floorboard of her car
More example sentences
- Quickly he grabbed an old brown paper lunch sack from the back floorboards of his car.
- I was driving last night, and when I went to brake, I had to practically shove the brake pedal into the floorboard to make the car stop.
- She gazed at the floorboard of the car confused and light-hearted with Sade's annoying company.
Words that rhyme with floorboardscoreboard, strawboard
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of floorboard in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.