Definition of floorboard in English:
1A long plank making up part of a wooden floor in a building.
- The second double bedroom has polished wooden floorboards, a picture window and built-in wardrobes.
- The original stained timber floorboards are retained and there is a cast iron fireplace.
- I crept silently into the living room, wincing when a hardwood floorboard creaked under my weight.
1.1North American The floor of a motor vehicle: the keys had fallen on the floorboard of her car
More example sentences
- Quickly he grabbed an old brown paper lunch sack from the back floorboards of his car.
- I was driving last night, and when I went to brake, I had to practically shove the brake pedal into the floorboard to make the car stop.
- She gazed at the floorboard of the car confused and light-hearted with Sade's annoying company.
Definition of floorboard in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan