1Relating to Florence.
- Not only do the voices in the journal bear no mark of an illiterate 16 th-century shepherd or 15 th-century Florentine teenager; they do not even sound like the voice of an early 20 th-century art historian.
- It was a gift in 1716 from the Prussian royal house to Russia, where it was later enhanced by four priceless Florentine mosaics - and it aroused the greed of the Wehrmacht during the Second World War.
- Dan Hill was intrigued by a sentence in Hammersley's Florentine adventures: ‘There are eight storey apartment blocks built in 1250!’
2 (florentine) [postpositive] (Of food) served or prepared on a bed of spinach: eggs florentine
More example sentences
- Alexander's veal florentine was quickly delivered, as were other tasty dishes for the others.
- The eggs Benedict florentine is a whole new presentation.
- The oysters florentine were okay, but not really good enough.
1A native or citizen of Florence.
- But if the Florentines of today can call upon the ingenuity of their predecessors, not the least of them Leonardo, they will find the solutions, and the lady may yet achieve another brilliant rebirth.
- All the Florentines seem to have mustered up is an exhibition of 40 pictures of the Scottish capital to be opened at the end of October by the lord provost of Edinburgh at the British Institute.
- There is certainly no evidence that 15 th-century Florentines saw the elevation in this way.
2 (florentine) A cookie consisting mainly of nuts and preserved fruit, coated on one side with chocolate.
- While Lippi was completing the Strozzi commission, Florentines were listening to Savonarola inveighing against the deceitful seductions of modern painters.
- She also had a square of home-baked Florentine.
- I decided to do more of a florentine cookie, but stick with the cream.
Middle English (as a noun): from French Florentin(e) or Latin Florentinus, from Florentia 'Florence'.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of Florentine in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.