Definition of flowering currant in English:
An ornamental shrub grown for its clusters of small pinkish-red flowers.
- Genus Ribes, family Grossulariaceae: several species, in particular the red-flowering currant (R. sanguineum)
- The flowering currants are perhaps the best known shrubs of the Ribes family but there are other equally garden-worthy members, including Ribes odoratum, or Buffalo currant, from central North America.
- The flowering currant, common in many city gardens, was considered so important a find in 1826 as to be worth the entire cost of a north American expedition.
- The flowering currant, Ribes sanguineum, makes a brave showing in spring.
Definition of flowering currant in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.