(abbreviation: fl. oz.)
Definition of fluid ounce in English:
1US A unit of capacity equal to one sixteenth of a US pint (approximately 0.03 liter).
- The lowest recommended use rate is now 40 fluid ounces / acre.
- The flush is done by over-filling the system with a solution of 10 fluid ounces of 5 percent chlorine per 40 gal of water.
- The average person can satisfy fluid needs by drinking pint of water about 2 hours before exercising and continuing to drink 4 to 8 fluid ounces every 20 minutes or so during exercise.
2British A unit of capacity equal to one twentieth of a pint (approximately 0.028 liter).
- The beauty of this scale is that not only can you switch between kilograms and pounds, it also copes with measuring liquids in fluid ounces or millilitres.
- How anyone dreamed up a system where 20 fluid ounces makes one pint, 437.5 grains makes one ounce and 1,760 yards makes one mile is beyond us.
- A canteen cup from those days (I have one) holds about 16 fluid ounces, roughly 500 milliliters.
Definition of fluid ounce in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia