Definition of fluidize in English:
verb[with object] technical
Cause (a finely divided solid) to acquire the characteristics of a fluid by passing a gas upward through it.
- Fluidization experiments show that as flow velocities increase small grains can be carried through fluidizing beds containing a mixture of coarse and fine grains.
- They occur when a layer of unconsolidated sediment is fluidized and transport of fluid and suspended grains takes place through overlying sediment to the sediment-water interface.
- In most basins sands that can be fluidized are interbedded with ‘leaky’ shales of high permeability (for shales) that do not sustain high overpressure during normal compaction.
- Example sentences
- Deformation bands and early calcite cement develop upon wall-rock contraction after fluidization ceased and fluid pressures dropped.
- The formation of pockmarks within muddy sediments is suggested to be caused by the interaction between sediment fluidization and bottom currents.
- After fluidization ceased and the fluid pressure dropped, walls contracted, resulting in increased grain contact stresses, and bands parallel to the margins developed.
Definition of fluidize in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan