Definition of fluorescence in English:
1The visible or invisible radiation emitted by certain substances as a result of incident radiation of a shorter wavelength such as X-rays or ultraviolet light.
- The uralolite exhibits faint green fluorescence in shortwave ultraviolet radiation.
- Any fluorescence under ultraviolet light may also provide clues to the identity and status of a gemstone.
- A laboratory technician checked urine for ultraviolet fluorescence indicating the presence of riboflavin.
1.1The property of absorbing light of short wavelength and emitting light of longer wavelength.
- Other mutants displayed green fluorescence or lacked fluorescent properties.
- No particularly strong fluorescence of calcite, especially by comparison with glass, has been noticed.
- One of the main attractions of chlorophyll fluorescence is that it appears to give a measure of photosynthesis.
mid 19th century: from fluorspar (which fluoresces), on the pattern of opalescence.
Definition of fluorescence in:
- British & World English dictionary