A bottom-dwelling marine fish that has bony armor on the skull, spines behind the head, and large brightly colored pectoral fins. It moves through the water with a gliding or flying motion.
- Family Dactylopteridae: two genera and several species
More example sentences
- The flying gurnard is characterized by its spectacular pectoral fins that look like wings.
- We found a multitude of interesting subjects - flying gurnards and dragonets, strange octopuses and rainbow coloured nudibranchs, and even several different kinds of frogfish.
- The sandy seabed is popular with photographers seeking flying gurnards, flounders and cuttlefish.
Definition of flying gurnard in:
- The British & World English dictionary