A small squirrel that has skin joining the fore and hind limbs for gliding from tree to tree.
- Subfamily Pteromyinae, family Sciuridae (many species in Southeast Asia, northern Eurasia, and North America) and family Anomaluridae (several species in Africa). The two common North American species are the northern flying squirrel (Glaucomys sabrinus) and the southern flying squirrel (G. volans)
More example sentences
- There are three basic body forms in squirrels: tree squirrels, ground squirrels and flying squirrels.
- Capture success (percentage of traps containing squirrels) across the study was highly seasonal for both flying squirrels and red squirrels.
- Besides working on lorises, she has studied ruffed lemurs, flying squirrels, opossums, civets, and several species of bats.
Definition of flying squirrel in:
- The British & World English dictionary