1Relating to the center or main point of interest: tapestries in which birds or animals provide the focal interest
More example sentences
- But we do intend to put something back that we can all be proud of to make a new focal centre of the village again.
- The third plot while without a central focal character is the most important thread: the coming of the Second Boxer Rebellion in China.
- Dubey cuts the figures at the edges and at unusual angles to create focal interest in the compositions.
1.1 Optics Relating to the focus of a lens.
- Huygens discovered the law of refraction to derive the focal distances of lenses.
- Residual longitudinal chromatic aberration introduces a focal shift for any wavelength variation.
- There are now Bifocal lenses, a type of contact lens design that includes two focal areas: one for near, one for distance.
1.2(Of a disease or medical condition) occurring in one particular site in the body.
- The laryngeal inlet showed chronic inflammatory changes and the tongue showed focal congestion and mild inflammatory changes.
- If CAV is present, then options such as coronary interventions may be used, depending on whether focal disease is present.
- In 141 autopsies of people without focal neurological disease, 57 probably had Alzheimer's disease.
- Example sentences
- Grossly, the surgical specimen consisted of a 4.0 x 3.5 X 3.2-cm irregular, firm, tan, focally hemorrhagic mass.
- Histologically, the blastomous tumor cells were present in diffuse sheets, which focally formed malignant cartilage.
- The mitotic activity was focally brisk, with an average of 8 to 10 mitoses per highpower field in these areas.
Words that rhyme with focalbifocal, local, univocal, varifocal, vocal, yokel
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.