noun(often the foehn)
- 1A hot southerly wind on the northern slopes of the Alps.More example sentences
- The Valais is sheltered by the alps and, like south east Switzerland, benefits particularly from the föhn.
- As for the foehn of yesterday there was enough ascent to condense out the humidity content and to produce a very dry, warm Föhn-storm north of the Alps.
- 1.1 (also foehn wind) Meteorology A warm dry wind developing in the lee of any mountain range.More example sentences
- In addition, foehn winds, warm dry winds coming off the lee slopes of a mountain range, heated the basin.
- Foehn events occurred with above-average frequency and high diversity.
mid 19th century: from German Föhn, based on Latin (ventus) Favonius 'mild west wind', Favonius being the Roman personification of the west or west wind.
More definitions of foehnDefinition of foehn in:
- The British & World English dictionary