Definition of folic acid in English:
A vitamin of the B complex, found especially in leafy green vegetables, liver, and kidney. Also called pteroylglutamic acid, vitamin M.
- Dietary sources of folic acid include green leafy vegetables, breakfast cereals and bread.
- In people with vitamin B - 12 deficiency, giving folic acid does much more than mask any anaemia.
- When stored in the liver or ingested folic acid exists in a polyglutamate form.
- Example sentences
- These heart-healthy nutrients include magnesium, folate, vitamin E, copper, arginine and fiber.
- It has been shown that supplementation with these vitamins, especially folate, can lower homocysteine levels.
- Choline, folate, and methionine are the body's primary sources of methyl groups.
Definition of folic acid in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia