Definition of folic acid in English:
A vitamin of the B complex, found especially in leafy green vegetables, liver, and kidney. Also called pteroylglutamic acid, vitamin M.
- Dietary sources of folic acid include green leafy vegetables, breakfast cereals and bread.
- In people with vitamin B - 12 deficiency, giving folic acid does much more than mask any anaemia.
- When stored in the liver or ingested folic acid exists in a polyglutamate form.
- Example sentences
- These heart-healthy nutrients include magnesium, folate, vitamin E, copper, arginine and fiber.
- It has been shown that supplementation with these vitamins, especially folate, can lower homocysteine levels.
- Choline, folate, and methionine are the body's primary sources of methyl groups.
Definition of folic acid in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.