Definition of fondant in English:
1A thick paste made of sugar and water and often flavored or colored, used in the making of candy and the icing and decoration of cakes.
- Fondant icing is literally fondant warmed with a little syrup, flavoured, and coloured.
- The festival will include cakes for all occasions, with toppings made of fondant, butter cream, fresh cream, and royal icing.
- In a saucepan over low heat, combine corn syrup and fondant and cook, stirring constantly, until a light caramel color.
1.1A candy made of fondant.
- Lollipops and LifeSavers are amorphous candies; fudge and fondant (creamy candy or filling) are crystalline.
- Then we tried some of their chocolate fondant and it was so good we were physically unable to speak.
- By the time I reach Armani up at the top I have that sated feeling, the one-too-many chocolates syndrome where once-luxurious fondant turns to sickly goo.
late 19th century: from French, literally 'melting', present participle of fondre.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan