Any nutritious substance that people or animals eat or drink, or that plants absorb, in order to maintain life and growth: cans of cat food baby foods
More example sentences
- Parents are working more and cooking less, relying on high-calorie, high-fat fast foods to feed their families.
- A range of Mexican fast food is available.
- And they know how to prepare wholesome, delicious food themselves.
nourishment, sustenance, nutriment, fare; bread, daily bread; cooking, cuisine; foodstuffs, edibles, provender, refreshments, meals, provisions, rations; solids
dated victualsfodder, feed, provender, forage
late Old English fōda, of Germanic origin; related to fodder.
food for thought
- Something that warrants serious consideration.More example sentences
- Although she had been quickly brought back, the incident would nonetheless provide some food for thought.
- And this recent Reason magazine editorial provides ample food for thought about Raed.
- And it provides plenty of food for thought for those writers who are wondering what it is that holds readers to the page.