Definition of food pyramid in English:
1A nutritional diagram in the shape of a pyramid, especially (in the US) the Food Guide Pyramid.
- I'm expecting big things from all this fruit consumption, and if I don't get it, someone in charge of the food pyramid is going to get cut.
- The food pyramid has outlived its usefulness and the Department of Agriculture is looking to give it an extreme makeover.
- Yes, Larry, my question for the doctor is regarding the food pyramid that is established for our school systems.
2 Ecology A graphic representation of predatory relationships in the food chain, in which various forms of life are shown on different levels, with each level preying on the one below it.
- Quammen emphasizes how the placement of predators at the top of the food pyramid makes them especially vulnerable to habitat destruction.
- This is certainly not the case in living communities, in which carnivores are at the top of the food pyramid and thus are much less abundant than herbivores.