1A unit of energy equal to the amount required to raise 1 pound a distance of 1 foot.
- Air pistols are limited by law to a kinetic energy level of six foot-pounds (ft/lbs).
- The most practical measurement for us is free recoil energy in foot-pounds.
- It is not necessary to hold a certificate for an air rifle which can produce a kinetic energy of less than 12 foot-pounds.
2A unit of torque equal to the force of 1 lb acting perpendicularly to an axis of rotation at a distance of 1 foot.
- The engine was at 850 foot-pounds of torque, too high to land.
- It offers a 30-hp, 12,000-rpm spindle with 123 foot-pounds of torque.
- A 2.2-litre in-line four is the base engine, offering 145 horsepower and 155 foot-pounds of torque.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of foot-pound in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.