- 1 (one's footing) A secure grip with one’s feet: he suddenly lost his footingMore example sentences
foothold, toehold, grip, purchase
- I ended up walking on the unshovelled areas in order to have a more secure footing.
- Sirka staggered around, trying to make her way out of the hallway and into the family room, when she suddenly lost her footing.
- Over the Rhine I found my footing; I gripped the slipping rope; I was rejuvenated; my feet were washed.
- 2 [in singular] The basis on which something is established or operates: attempts to establish the store on a firm financial footingMore example sentences
basis, base, foundation
- Neither side succeeded in establishing a firm footing in the first half, as evidenced by the fact that parity obtained on four occasions.
- They figure they will need €500,000 to establish a firm footing in the market, money the company does not have at present.
- Gregory, who is believed to retain about 8% of the equity, said the restructuring of the board would put the company on a firm footing for its next phase of expansion.
- 2.1The position or status of a person in relation to others: the suppliers are on an equal footing with the buyersMore example sentences
- It was emphasised that only in those circumstances could the buyer be said to be on an equal footing with his seller in terms of bargaining strength.
- This work is vital to demonstrate the potential impact of preventing ill health and put it on an equal footing with clinical interventions, which are routinely subject to economic evaluation.
- He will also be able to compete on an equal footing with some of the professionals on the circuit, who have already found themselves trailing in his wake on some of the sport's most gruelling courses.
- 3 (usually footings) The bottommost part of a foundation wall, with a course of concrete wider than the base of the wall.More example sentences
- But because they are some distance away from the older basement walls and footings, there was no shoring of existing foundation required during construction.
- The lower stringer end should rest on a concrete beam foundation or on footings below each stringer.
- The new second-floor structure rests on existing pier footings, reducing foundation costs.