- The block of rock that lies on the underside of an inclined fault or of a mineral deposit.More example sentences
- They contain kilometre-scale blocks of igneous basement rocks, plucked by the rising diapir from the footwall of the fault.
- As a result, Triassic rocks in the hanging wall thrust onto Upper Cretaceous rocks in the footwall.
- At its southern boundary the terrane lies in the footwall of another north-directed thrust with Dazhuqu terrane ophiolitic rocks or Paleogene Liuqu Conglomerate in the hanging wall.
More definitions of footwallDefinition of footwall in:
- The British & World English dictionary