- The hole in the base of the skull through which the spinal cord passes.More example sentences
- The cysts may localize anywhere within the CNS, but are often found at the base of the brain around the foramen magnum or surrounding the spinal cord.
- Located at the base of the skull, the medulla oblongata is continuous with the spinal cord at the foramen magnum.
- At the level of the foramen magnum, where the spinal cord ends and the medulla oblongata begins, the gray matter undergoes a marked reorganization.
late 19th century: Latin, 'large opening'.
More definitions of foramen magnumDefinition of foramen magnum in:
- The British & World English dictionary