Definition of forecheck in English:
verb[no object] Ice Hockey
Play an aggressive style of defense, checking opponents in their own defensive zone, before they can organize an attack.
- The Sabres rarely forechecked aggressively, and Peca's biggest job was usually to shut down the opponent's top center.
- The thought there is that teams are reluctant to forecheck against a goaltender who basically acts as a third defenseman and can move the puck up the ice very efficiently.
- He consistently works hard, forechecking and backchecking every shift.
- Example sentences
- He is more of a forechecker - a disruptor who plays hard every shift.
- When forced to dump the puck, forecheckers must battle through blockers to reach the defenseman along the boards behind the net.
- Against teams that employ the trap, a lefthanded shooter on the right side has an advantage because he can put his body between the forechecker and puck.
Definition of forecheck in:
- British & World English dictionary