Definition of foreign mission in English:
1A permanent office established by a nation to represent its interests in a foreign country.
- Tu made the appeal when he met with more than a score of representatives from foreign missions at a seminar on the establishment of a pluralistic culture society.
- Representatives from foreign missions will also attend the ceremony.
- To reinforce this horizontal trend, Canadian foreign missions will become more identified as government of Canada offices, rather than just DFAIT offices.
2A group sent by a church to live in a foreign country for a period of time, especially to seek converts.
- As a young, southern Presbyterian minister, Sheppard longed for a missionary post in Africa, but the church's white-led foreign mission would send him only if he were accompanied by a white missionary, and that was hard to come by.
- Many gay Episcopalians who supported foreign missions learned that lesson last August when recently converted Africans bishops voted to oppose gay sex, gay clergy and gay marriage at the Lambeth conference.
- As the Korean church grew, it began investing in home and foreign missions - another Nevius principle.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia