1A person born in or coming from a country other than one’s own.
- This foreigner was born in Japan, as were his parents.
- The name of a child born to a foreigner in Bulgaria will be determined according to the parents' decision.
- Not that I don't think it's a good idea - hell, if it had been my misfortune to be born a foreigner, I might do the same - but I wonder what put it in their heads to do it now.
1.1 informal A person not belonging to a particular place or group; a stranger or outsider.
- All foreigners and outsiders, however, were suspect in everybody's eyes.
- Targeting wealthy foreigners, houses for outsiders were much more expensive than houses for locals.
- Their job is to assault all outsiders and foreigners in the village!
alien, nonnative, stranger, outsider;
immigrant, landed immigrant, refugee, settler, newcomer
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.