verb[with object] literary
Be a sign of (something to come): a shiver in the night air foretokening December
More example sentences
- Actually this foretokened that the formal independence of the republic would also be nullified.
- The Next Big Things on the Internet aren't usually foretokened by business models or white papers, said Popkin.
- He is said to have eaten a toad as a child, an act foretokening a martial destiny.
A sign of something to come.
- Let's count all of the foretokens that were telling me me to crawl back into bed for the weekend.
- The last, and most impacting foretoken came four hours afterwards, as I walked with friends back from the cinema.
- She bears inauspicious marks that are the foretokens of ruin and ill luck.
Words that rhyme with foretokenawoken, bespoken, betoken, broken, oaken, outspoken, plain-spoken, ryokan, spoken, token, woken
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.