- Each of several prominent bands of frequency that determine the phonetic quality of a vowel.More example sentences
- You don't have to parse the sentences or measure vowel formants or anything time consuming, so the empirical part of the research just took a few minutes.
- Chapter Four discusses the resonant voice and includes information about the singer's timbre, the open throat, voice placement and vowel formants.
- The results are plotted in the traditional way, with the second formant on the horizontal axis and the first formant on the vertical axis, both plotted so that the origin is (in effect) in the upper right-hand corner.
early 20th century: coined in German from Latin formant- 'forming', from the verb formare.
More definitions of formantDefinition of formant in:
- The British & World English dictionary