Definition of forsythia in English:
A widely cultivated ornamental Eurasian shrub whose bright yellow flowers appear in early spring before the leaves.
- Genus Forsythia, family Oleaceae: several species
- Scillas bring the sky-blue color down to earth under flowering pear trees and forsythias, as hyacinths underplanted with pansies welcome visitors.
- Good candidates are aucuba, barberry, forsythia, holly, honey-suckle, hydrangea, spirraea, weigela and even roses.
- Spring-flowering shrubs include such popular plants as forsythia, deutzia, lilac, viburnum, mock-orange and spirea.
modern Latin, named after William Forsyth (1737–1804), Scottish botanist and horticulturalist, said to have introduced the shrub into Britain from China.
Definition of forsythia in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India