A widely cultivated ornamental Eurasian shrub whose bright yellow flowers appear in early spring before the leaves.
- Genus Forsythia, family Oleaceae: several species
More example sentences
- Scillas bring the sky-blue color down to earth under flowering pear trees and forsythias, as hyacinths underplanted with pansies welcome visitors.
- Good candidates are aucuba, barberry, forsythia, holly, honey-suckle, hydrangea, spirraea, weigela and even roses.
- Spring-flowering shrubs include such popular plants as forsythia, deutzia, lilac, viburnum, mock-orange and spirea.
modern Latin, named after William Forsyth (1737–1804), Scottish botanist and horticulturalist, said to have introduced the shrub into Britain from China.
More definitions of forsythiaDefinition of forsythia in:
- The British & World English dictionary