Definition of fossilize in English:
verb[with object] (usually be fossilized)
1Preserve (an organism) so that it becomes a fossil: the hard parts of the body are readily fossilized
More example sentences
- No in situ fossilized trees were found preserved within channel sandstone bodies.
- Many fossilized insects and animal fossils are identical to those living today.
- Small fish bones, delicate leaves, even animal skin have been fossilized and beautifully preserved.
1.1 [no object] Become a fossil: flowers do not readily fossilize
More example sentences
- They fossilize readily and in recognizable form because the interlocking desmas retain the original form of the sponge.
- However, the paucity of modern cycad trunks to cycadeoid trunks in the fossil record suggests that the modern cycad trunks did not fossilize as readily as the extinct variety.
- Attachment of quartz and kaolinite to the surface of lobster eggs demonstrates experimentally for the first time that soft tissues could fossilize in pre-existing minerals.
1.2Become or cause to become antiquated, fixed, or incapable of change or development.
- This atmosphere had the weird property of deadening and fossilising every thing that slid under its sway.
- Canons of literature may fossilize their subject and reduce its study to dry memorization for its own sake.
- The system is bureaucratic, distorts land use and fossilises the countryside and businesses.
- Example sentences
- That has led many to posit that the ‘cambrian explosion’ is more likely an artifact of the differential fossilization of animals with hard parts, particularly exo-skeletons, than of a real explosion.
- So it is simply false, given what we know about the process of fossilization, to declare that we should have a perfect record of every species and therefore should have a perfect sequence of fossils documenting every transition.
- It was not developed to ‘get around the data’, it was developed to apply what we knew about genetics to what we should then expect in terms of fossilization.
Pronunciation: /ˌfäsələˈzāSH(ə)n/ /ˌfäsəˌlīˈzāSH(ə)n/noun
Definition of fossilize in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.