Definition of fossorial in English:
1(Of an animal) burrowing.
- The only Australian fossorial mammal is the marsupial mole, Notoryctes typhlops (order Notoryctimorphia, family Notoryctidae).
- The means of intraspecific communication in the insectivorous fossorial mammals clearly needs to be examined in more detail and is not addressed further here.
- Most mammals employing this behavior are subterranean, rather than simply fossorial; most fossorial mammals are limited to scratch digging.
1.1(Of limbs) adapted for use in burrowing.
- In insects with fossorial legs the fore legs and tibiae are specialized for digging.
Mid 19th century: from medieval Latin fossorius (from Latin fossor 'digger', from fodere 'to dig') + -al.
Definition of fossorial in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.