Definition of foul brood in English:
A fatal bacterial disease of larval honeybees.
- This disease is caused by the bacteria Paenibacillus larvae or Melissococcus pluton
- Their work includes educating beekeepers about serious diseases such as American foul brood and European foul brood, but if the number of inspectors is cut it is feared that outbreaks could spread unchecked.
- Diseases like American foul brood and chalk brood are also taking a heavy toll.
- All colonies too heavily infected with European foul brood to respond to treatment are destroyed.
Definition of foul brood in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.