1Unfair play in a game or sport.
- Surely assisting the referee with decisions on foul play would assist the ref as well.
- The referee awarded only a penalty for the foul play, and the full-back remained on the field.
- This glorious sport must be freed from brutality and foul play.
2Unlawful or dishonest behavior, in particular violent crime resulting in another’s death.
- No cause of death was given but foul play is not suspected.
- The circumstances of his death excited questions of foul play.
- Police in Northern Ireland have ruled out any foul play in Fulton's death.
For editors and proofreaders
Syllabification: foul play
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.