A pitched ball that tips off the bat and travels directly to the catcher’s hands. Unlike a foul ball, a foul tip can be a batter’s third strike.
More example sentences
- It is not a foul tip unless it is caught, and any foul tip that is caught is a strike, and the ball is in play.
- He cited the same reasons that many other catchers have for why they will squat on every pitch, sweat in all that gear and absorb foul tips and baserunners.
- They take all kinds of abuse - they block balls, they get bashed by foul tips.
- More example sentences
- Gil Coan, fleet-footed outfielder for the Senators, recalls a game in which he foul-tipped a ball into the mitt of Red Sox catcher Birdie Tebbetts on an 0-2 count.
- Richie Sexson worked an 0-2 count full but foul-tipped a knee-high fastball into Barajas’ glove.
- Accordingly, for example, even if a foul-tipped ball strikes against the bank portion on the thumb side of the catcher's mitt, the mitt is hardly deviated, or shifted, relative to the hand.