Definition of foul tip in English:
A pitched ball that tips off the bat and travels directly to the catcher’s hands. Unlike a foul ball, a foul tip can be a batter’s third strike.
- It is not a foul tip unless it is caught, and any foul tip that is caught is a strike, and the ball is in play.
- He cited the same reasons that many other catchers have for why they will squat on every pitch, sweat in all that gear and absorb foul tips and baserunners.
- They take all kinds of abuse - they block balls, they get bashed by foul tips.
- Example sentences
- Gil Coan, fleet-footed outfielder for the Senators, recalls a game in which he foul-tipped a ball into the mitt of Red Sox catcher Birdie Tebbetts on an 0-2 count.
- Richie Sexson worked an 0-2 count full but foul-tipped a knee-high fastball into Barajas’ glove.
- Accordingly, for example, even if a foul-tipped ball strikes against the bank portion on the thumb side of the catcher's mitt, the mitt is hardly deviated, or shifted, relative to the hand.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia