Definition of four-wheel drive in English:
1A transmission system that provides power directly to all four wheels of a vehicle.
- We had four desert equipped four-wheel-drive vehicles, two landrovers and two Bedford lorries.
- Madras Road was virtually impassable to traffic, allowing only for four-wheel-drive vehicles and trucks, which could go up to a certain point and then turn back.
- Some modern Bedu have acquired trucks and other four-wheel-drive vehicles to replace the camel as transportation.
1.1A vehicle with four-wheel drive, typically designed for off-road driving.
- The group was transported in a convoy of police vans, ambulances and four-wheel drives, which snaked its way along main roads and boreens to the search area.
- It was our second time down there - we wish we could make it more often, but due to geographical conditions of the place, only four-wheel drives or better equipped vehicles can access the beach, while our car is nothing but an old compact car.
- He said that although using four-wheel drives, quad bikes and other vehicles on green lanes was not illegal, it could cause problems if tracks were not maintained.
Definition of four-wheel drive in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan