verb[with object] chiefly technical
1Divide into fractions or components.
- Our fractograms show colloid size distributions with major peaks centered at 50 to 60 nm for samples that were size fractionated immediately following the preconcentration step.
- Sap collection from one same leaf was fractionated into several samples of 15-80 mm volume that were immediately stored at - 80°C for subsequent analyses.
- Two sets of samples were fractionated on 1.0% agarose gels and transferred to nylon membranes.
1.1Separate (a mixture) by fractional distillation.
- Cell debris was removed by centrifugation, and the supernatant was fractionated by ammonium sulfate precipitation.
- In this experiment, mitochondrial proteins were fractionated using a long gel, which allowed the separation of all major mitochondrial proteins.
- The obtained extracts were fractionated by acetone precipitation.
- Example sentences
- Conservative analysis of our systematic fractionation of yeast cytosolic and nuclear extracts resolved 12 chromatographically separable activities.
- The fractionation, separation of active components and clarification of their mechanism of action are currently under investigation.
- This separation creates significant fractionation during the redistribution of the chemical elements between the two liquids.
Definition of fractionate in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.