Definition of Frankenfish in English:
1A genetically modified fish.
- That project raises outraged cries from commercial fishermen, who believe the larger Frankenfish will decimate wild species of salmon with their precious genetic inheritance, which has evolved over millennia.
- Against this Frankenfish background, even the most experimental fish farm in Britain looks relatively benign.
- If even a few of these Frankenfish escape, the damage could be extensive.
2The northern snakehead, so dubbed for its voracious appetite and ability to survive adverse conditions.
- Nicknamed the Frankenfish, the snakehead is capable of breathing air, slithering over land, and surviving three days outside the water, magnifying its ability to move from one habitat to another.
- Also known as Frankenfish, this invasive species is a voracious predator that eats almost anything, so its possible spread has biologists worried.
- Right now, nobody knows how to rid the Potomac of Frankenfish, but bass anglers are eager to do anything and everything they can to help.
From Franken(stein) and fish.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.