- The flight of a spacecraft, rocket, or missile when the engine is not producing thrust.More example sentences
- However, if they fly higher, outside the Earth's atmosphere, they can also provide weightlessness to their payload during the thrustless free flight phase, the duration of which is determined by the apogee reached.
- The tubby projectile will continue toward the comet in free flight.
- On each of these three fly-bys, the spacecraft picked up additional speed from the planet in a sort of slingshot fashion, so that by the end of this initial maneuver it had enough speed to make it to Jupiter in free flight.
More definitions of free flightDefinition of free flight in:
- The British & World English dictionary