(also freetail bat)
Definition of free-tailed bat in English:
A streamlined fast-flying insectivorous bat with a projecting tail, found in tropical and subtropical countries.
- Family Molossidae: several genera and numerous species, including the mastiff bats and hairless bats
- Molossids are known as free-tailed bats, because their bony tail extends to the end of a well-developed tail membrane and considerably beyond.
- Western pipistrelles and Mexican free-tailed bats have staked their own claim on the chutes and shafts.
- All free-tailed bats and two noctules reluctant to feed by themselves had to be fed by hand.
Definition of free-tailed bat in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan