- Poetry that does not rhyme or have a regular meter. Also called vers libre.More example sentences
- He says he is on a mission to make poetry popular again, and to undo what he says is the damage done by free verse, or poetry without regular patterns of rhyme, meter or stanzas.
- Others have suggested that Anglo-American writers generally did not distinguish between free verse and prose poems.
- Many of these complainers are writers of free verse poems who complained vigorously when new formalists declared that free verse wasn't real poetry - that poetry was rhymed and metered and used traditional forms.
More definitions of free verseDefinition of free verse in:
- The British & World English dictionary