Denoting a contest or version of a sport in which there are few restrictions on the moves or techniques that competitors employ: freestyle wrestling
More example sentences
- He is a former amateur great, who went on to win a gold medal for freestyle wrestling during the 1996 Olympics.
- Finally, in 2005, the X Games hosted its first women's freestyle contest.
- Swimmers Darian Townsend, Lyndon Ferns and Karl Thaning race in a freestyle time trial at the Olympic Aquatic Centre.
A contest in which there are few restrictions, in particular a swimming race in which competitors may use any stroke.
- The most recent world records by Ian Thorpe in the 200 and 400 meter freestyles are the latest testaments to the strength of freestyle swimming by Australians.
- In January I raced a 1650 freestyle with my heart rate monitor on, and I was anaerobic the whole way.
- In freestyle, the fastest swimmers had the greatest distance per stroke at slow swimming speeds.
- Example sentences
- ‘I'm the best prepared I've ever been,’ Alison Sheppard, the 50 metres freestyler who is at her fifth Olympics, said.
- ‘It was tough racing the two greatest freestylers of all time,’ Phelps said.
- I swam against the two fastest 200-meter freestylers of all time, and I broke the American record.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of freestyle in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.