1A period of extreme cold.
- As each winter approaches, people hope and pray for mild storms and an early freeze-up to protect the shoreline.
- Thirty-nine counties are now affected by the great freeze-up, and snow and ice have made travelling difficult on 14,000 miles of important roads, the AA said today.
- A council which came under fire for its performance during the post-Christmas freeze-up is to put itself under the microscope.
1.1US The freezing over of a body of water such as a lake or river: until freeze-up, the caribou stay near the lake
More example sentences
- ‘We do not have a single longtime freeze-up in which the water cycle is shut down completely,’ asserts Allen.
- The combination of increased precipitation and cooler temperatures in the Arctic fall, therefore, might be critical for many populations, allowing fish to migrate back to main branches or lakes before freeze-up.
- I would be afraid to chase her across the lake during break-up and freeze-up, but she knew the land, waterways and ice.
Definition of freeze-up in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.