Shellac polish that produces a high gloss on wood.
- Various proprietary products are sold as French polish, unusually consisting of an alcoholic solution of shellac resin with a variety of additives intended to ease application or increase brightness.
- I knew a French polisher who worked in the yard and he made up his French polish at home and brought it into work each day so no-one would know the recipe for his polish.
- I'm presenting just an illustration of what French polish actually is, and how I approach it.
Treat (wood) with French polish.
- Once you feel confident with the technique, you can then begin to French polish the actual instrument.
- Never French polish in high humidity because the water in the air will become trapped beneath the surface.
For editors and proofreaders
Syllabification: French pol·ish
Definition of French polish in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.