Definition of frenulum in English:
1A small fold or ridge of tissue that supports or checks the motion of the part to which it is attached, in particular a fold of skin beneath the tongue, or between the lip and the gum.
- Unexplained injuries to protected parts of the body such as the buttocks, thighs, torso, frenulum, ears and neck are suggestive of child abuse.
- Idly running her tongue across the fraenulum, she thinks about work, and how many others in her office of twenty-six people do this.
- The frenulum is the piece of tissue connecting the tongue to the bottom.
1.1 Entomology (In some moths and butterflies) a bristle or row of bristles on the edge of the hind wing that keeps it in contact with the forewing.
- In the past, butterflies were distinguished from moths in that they flew during the day, possessed clubbed antennae, were brightly colored, and lacked a frenulum (a wing coupling mechanism found in most moths).
Definition of frenulum in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.