Definition of freshen in English:
1 [with object] Make (something) newer, cleaner, or more attractive: it didn’t take long to freshen her makeup
More example sentences
- Throughout the day they constantly freshened their makeup and adjusted their hair ornaments, and a mirror was of course basic to these tasks.
- This freshens the verse and toughens the sentiment.
- Squeezing a lemon is just as effective at freshening the air.
refresh, deodorize, cleanse;
1.1chiefly North American Add more liquid to (a drink); top off.
2 [no object] (Of wind) become stronger and colder.
- As the match began the blustery wind freshened and cooled with the huge Hawks flag fluttering above the old pavilion.
- On Friday, with the wind freshening I check that all is well with my new propagator and its precious cargo of germinating seeds - and yes, all is well.
- When at last the wind freshened and the sky cleared - with one barrel of water left on each ship - Columbus decided to sail west.
3 [no object] North American (Of a cow) give birth and come into milk.
- Cows soon to freshen or with calves should have access to a magnesium-containing mineral supplement to help prevent grass tetany on pasture in the spring.
- freshen up
- Revive oneself by washing oneself or changing into clean clothes: I freshened up by having a showerMore example sentences
wash, wash up, bathe, shower;tidy oneself (up), spruce oneself up, smarten oneself up, groom oneself, primp oneselfinformal titivate oneself, doll oneself upformal,, humorous perform one's ablutions
- If time allows, we will do an afternoon game drive, followed by freshening up for dinner.
- In the morning we freshened up and had our breakfast.
- After checking in to our hotel and freshening up, we'll head into the national park.
- (freshen something up) 1.1 Make something look newer or more attractive.Example sentences
- It does seem to have freshened things up a little but it's still going to be a really oppressive day in the office.
- We need a more extensive range of shops to freshen the place up.
- They felt it needed a new coat of paint to freshen it up.
Words that rhyme with freshencession, discretion, session
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.