adjective (friendlier, friendliest)
- 1Kind and pleasant: they were friendly to me she gave me a friendly smileMore example sentences
affable, amiable, genial, congenial, cordial, warm, affectionate, demonstrative, convivial, companionable, sociable, gregarious, outgoing, comradely, neighborly, hospitable, approachable, easy to get on with, accessible, communicative, open, unreserved, easygoing, good-natured, kindly, benign, amenable, agreeable, obliging, sympathetic, well-disposed, benevolent• informal chummy, buddy-buddycasual, informal, unceremonious; close, intimate, familiar
- Does it matter if we smile and are friendly to him?
- They do not only live in harmony but are equally friendly to visitors.
- Eddie was held in high esteem by the farming community and his pleasant friendly smile endeared him to all.
- 1.1 [predic.] (Of a person) on good or affectionate terms: I was friendly with one of the local farmersMore example sentences
- We are friendly with our neighbours, with people at work, and with the kids and parents at our son's school.
- And you have to have all of your own supplies, because unless you're friendly with the neighbors, there is no one around to borrow from.
- Sam has chosen people that he is friendly with and that he can talk to.
- 1.2(Of a contest) not seriously or unpleasantly competitive or divisive: friendly rivalry between the two schoolsMore example sentences
- He summed up the season as being competitive yet friendly and with the trio applying to join next year it was evident that the league continued to grow.
- ‘It's a competition that pitches towns right around the island into friendly rivalry,’ the Minister said.
- This is a competition that creates friendly rivalry among the participants and the judging is anticipated with great enthusiasm.
- 1.3 Soccer (Of a match) not affecting a team’s league standings.More example sentences
- In the meantime, the team will participate in friendly matches as a means of exposing the players to more competitive play.
- The Shanghai team still pays a visit to Hong Kong every year to play several friendly matches against local teams there.
- In one instance, several players were seen returning to their hotel drunk before a friendly match with a young Argentine team.
- 1.5Favorable or serviceable: trees providing a friendly stage on which seedlings begin to growMore example sentences
favorable, advantageous, helpful; lucky, providential
- When they woke after midday, they would eat and talk quietly together, waiting for the friendly cover of night to fall before moving on.
- The idea sprang from the cost to convert the simulators to friendly lighting for night vision goggles.
- The society intends to connect the three activities of production, marketing and service to promote environmentally friendly ways.
- 1.6 Military (Of troops or equipment) of, belonging to, or in alliance with one’s own forces.More example sentences
- Its initial purpose was to prevent Allied aircraft bombing friendly ground forces.
- When a mechanized force enters an area with friendly infantry, both light and mechanized soldiers get a little apprehensive.
- In the case of air defense or offensive military equipment, waiting until friendly forces are engaged is too late to confirm disablement.