1The mixture of silica and fluxes that is fused at high temperature to make glass.
- He poured his solution in, and watched in horror and disbelief as the white membrane filter dissolved and merrily sluiced through the glass frit along with his compound.
- The panels are made of varying sizes of glass frit that, when melted, trap varying sizes of air bubbles.
- Visual transparency can also be controlled by applying frit to both sides of the glass so that at some angles it appears transparent, and at other angles it appears opaque.
1.1A calcined and pulverized mixture used to make soft-paste porcelain or ceramic glazes.
- The ceramic frit is chromatically and tonally matched to the Portland Stone facade at the north-east corner of Broadcasting House.
- Every blend of frit is fire tested to ensure beautiful results.
verb (frits, fritting, fritted)[with object]
Make into frit.
- The solid fritted bonding material consists essentially of a blended wax composition and a powder.
- The ‘whiteness’ of various fritted products may vary slightly from piece to piece due to minor color variations in the batch mix.
Mid 17th century: from Italian fritta, feminine past participle of friggere 'to fry'.
Words that rhyme with fritacquit, admit, backlit, bedsit, befit, bit, Brit, Britt, chit, commit, demit, dit, emit, fit, flit, git, grit, hit, intermit, it, kit, knit, legit, lickety-split, lit, manumit, mishit, mitt, nit, omit, outsit, outwit, permit, pit, Pitt, pretermit, quit, remit, retrofit, sit, skit, slit, snit, spit, split, sprit, squit, submit, transmit, twit, whit, wit, writ, zit
Definition of frit in: