- A very small black fly whose larvae are a serious pest of cereal crops and golf-course turf.
More example sentences
- Oscinella frit, family Chloropidae
- In established grasses the normal result of frit fly attack is the loss of tillers which can be replaced.
- Adult frit flies are black with small yellow markings on the legs.
- Injuries caused by frit fly larvae were satisfactorily controlled with insecticides applied as a seed dressing.
late 19th century: from Latin frit 'particle on an ear of grain'.
More definitions of frit flyDefinition of frit fly in:
- The British & World English dictionary