(Of an animal) feeding on fruit.
More example sentences
- Little is known, however, about either the natural occurrence of ethanol within fruits or the behavioral responses of frugivorous animals to such cues.
- The natural occurrence of ethanol within ripe and fermenting fruit suggests that low-level ethanol exposure via dietary ingestion is characteristic of all frugivorous metazoans.
- Accordingly, the hypothesized deterrence of ethanol to frugivorous vertebrates, or specifically primates, is unsubstantiated.
mid 20th century: from Latin frux, frug- 'fruit' + -vore (see -vorous).
- More example sentences
- Second, I review the scanty literature on whether vertebrate frugivores prefer fruits with presumably higher levels of ethanol over conspecific fruits with presumably lower levels of ethanol.
- However, because of the great variety of microorganisms present in fruit, the associated effects on the interactions between vertebrate frugivores and fruiting plants may also be highly variable.
- During the late Cretaceous and early Paleocene periods plant-eating mammals were frugivores, presumably because fruit can be more easily processed than foliage.
Definition of frugivorous in:
- The British & World English dictionary