Definition of fruit pigeon in English:
A fruit-eating pigeon occurring in the Old World tropics.
- ● A relative of the imperial pigeons occurring in New Guinea (genus Ducula, family Columbidae). ● A green pigeon occurring in Africa (genus Treron, family Columbidae).
- Scores of sleek, black mynas, an assortment of tubby, green fruit pigeons, a few tiny parrots hanging upside-down and a legion of stately red-knobbed hornbills pummel me with discarded bits of cherry red figs.
- Two radiations that come to mind as ideal subjects of comparative studies because they are diverse and include nonfrugivorous sister groups are the fruit pigeons and the New World trogons.
- Our pigeons don't have those pigments in their feathers, however some fruit pigeons and parrots do.
Definition of fruit pigeon in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia