- 1.1Designed to be practical and useful, rather than attractive: she had assumed the apartment would be functional and simpleMore example sentences
- Once again, Pearl Izumi has designed a functional and attractive article of clothing that is not only great on the bike but in other uses as well.
- That is, sites that are attractive, practical, functional, and interesting.
- It's an attractive and functional design and a excellent exemplar of public art.
- 1.2Working or operating: the museum will be fully functional from the opening of the festivalMore example sentences
- Perhaps the most interesting aspect is the contrast between this flamboyant style and some of the more functional, if effective, tactics employed by Europe's top sides.
- In fact, an attack may have no functional effect either - it may create directly an operational effect on the decisionmaker.
- The Dolby Digital 2.0 track is uninspiring, but completely functional and effective for a dialogue-driven feature.
- 1.3(Of a disease) affecting the operation, rather than the structure, of an organ: functional diarrheaMore example sentences
- The challenge is to reliably sift out and satisfactorily reassure the 40% with functional disease without missing those with more serious pathology.
- Malnutrition, typhus, tuberculosis, sepsis, and universal diarrhoea (probably functional rather than infective) were rife.
- Patients with predominant epigastric pain without peptic ulcer disease or oesophagitis have functional dyspepsia.
- 1.4(Of a mental illness) having no discernible organic cause: functional psychosisMore example sentences
- The cases have been described as either a ‘toxic psychosis’ or a functional psychosis.
- This discussion focuses on the acute treatment of functional psychosis.
- The main differential diagnosis of delirium is from a functional psychosis (such as schizophrenia and manic depression) and from dementia.
- 2 Mathematics Of or relating to a variable quantity whose value depends on one or more other variables.More example sentences
- The author has succeeded in writing a book understandable to readers with very little knowledge of functional analysis and topological vector spaces.
- He did publish a number of papers, however, which arose through the various courses such as algebraic topology, functional analysis, and geometry, which he taught.
- How can we relate complex analysis, higher-dimensional geometry, functional analysis, and set theory to the forms of perception?
- [sentence adverb]: functionally, the role of the library service is clearly educationalMore example sentences
- I will not ask the very obvious question but moving on, could you start by sharing with us your role, functionally.
- Order parameters and their dynamics are always functionally defined in biological systems.
- First, we reject his idea that units in anarchic international systems cannot be functionally differentiated.