Definition of further in English:
used as comparative of far.
adverbBack to top
adjectiveBack to top
verb[with object] Back to top
Help the progress or development of (something); promote: he had depended on using them to further his own career
More example sentences
- All going to plan, this will expose each band to new ears, furthering their own audience development.
- He saw it as the next step in the future of the town and a natural step forward in furthering the aims and objectives of the Development Association.
- More importantly he's furthering his art-form by developing full hour shows.
until further notice
- Used to indicate that a situation will not change until another announcement is made: the museum is closed to the public until further noticeMore example sentences
- All footpaths and bridleways in the East Riding that cross agricultural land have also been closed to the public until further notice.
- After the fire, the office has temporarily suspended services to the public until further notice.
- However the council stressed this week that the precautionary boil water notice will continue until further notice.
until further orders
- Used to indicate that a situation is only to change when another command is received: they were to be kept in prison until further ordersMore example sentences
- To further compound the issue, the government by its order dated May 2, 2005 has ordered not to grant permission for conversation of agricultural land in and around Bangalore until further orders.
- They will wait at this staging area until further orders, and are to be accompanied by the First SAS division.
- General Johnston requests that you slow your men until further orders.
- Example sentences
- But it must not be supposed that reason is malign, the furtherer of ill counsels only.
- His wicked attempts have proved unsuccessful, and so he has sent you, the instigator and furtherer of this villainy, under pretence of peace to act comme un espion, that is, as a spy upon us.
- To all well-willers and furtherers of Plantations in New England, especially to such as ever have or desire to assist the people of Plymouth in their just proceedings, grace and peace be multiplied.
Words that rhyme with furtherstepbrother
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan