Another term for gorse.
- There is something a little sinister about it, amid that green and fecund landscape, with its skirting of pine and silver birch and the furze and bracken above.
- People pull up in their cars, run behind the furze and dump everything out of sight.
- The droplets of dew hung from the yellow furze and they glistened like a thousand diamonds.
- Example sentences
- From Tavistock to Lidford we travel under the shadow of Dartmoor's furzy slopes; from Lidford to Launceston we journey through a fertile and beautifully wooded district, all hill and hollow.
- These two paints alone, across the full range from masstone to tint, mix a remarkably evocative range of colors - a furzy tan, ripe orange red, deep brown, granite gray, jet black, indigo, a deep dark blue and a cool sky blue.
- If the Londoner visitor to our ‘province of houses’ tire or of the inevitable urban hurry and worry, he could do no better than take a leisurely walking-trip among those ‘high grassy and furzy downs, coombs, or ewe-leases.’
Old English fyrs, of unknown origin.
Words that rhyme with furzeagents provocateurs, berceuse, chanteuse, charmeuse, chartreuse, chauffeuse, coiffeurs, danseuse, diseuse, hers, messieurs, Meuse, secateurs, vendeuse
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of furze in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.