- A crumbly, porous type of coal resembling wood charcoal, used in drawing.More example sentences
- The conglomerate is overlain by a claystone-dominated fossiliferous interval, which contains spirorbid worm tubes, abundant conchostracans, plant debris, fusain, and a pygocephalomorph-bearing limestone.
- Forest fire, a major disturbance agent in some modern forests, does not appear to be a major factor given the rarity of fusain in the Buchanan Lake Formation deposits.
- As an independent check on the overall oxygen trend, it is notable that fusain is found for the first time in the Late Devonian.
late 19th century: from French, literally 'spindle tree', also 'fine charcoal' (made from the spindle tree).
More definitions of fusainDefinition of fusain in:
- The British & World English dictionary