Definition of futurist in English:
1 (Futurist) An adherent of futurism.
- Accordingly, she gives what is now the near obligatory nod to Marcel Duchamp while omitting any discussion of those Dadaists or Futurists who had abandoned the studio and its craft as being central to artistic and cultural production.
- Aesthetically, it recalls the jagged, fragmented abstract art of the Italian Futurists, Russia's Suprematists and Constructivists, and Vorticist Wyndham Lewis.
- The Futurists, the Surrealists, the abstract expressionists, all sought their passionate rhapsodies, of mechanization, or libido, or spontaneity.
2A person who studies the future and makes predictions about it based on current trends.
- Cass has made a career as an economic futurist, studying what changes in the economy, and, more importantly, what doesn't change.
- This technological revolution is so pervasive in our culture that many self-proclaimed experts and futurists are predicting a paperless society - and sooner rather than later.
- While many futurists predicted that we'd be enjoying the paperless office around this time, Americans are still at the epicenter of a paper blizzard.
adjectiveBack to top
1 (often Futurist) Of or relating to futurism or the Futurists.
- Dadaism, Surrealism, and Futurist performance activities seem to have shared a similar spirit of exploration, of breaking down boundaries, of looking to process instead of product.
- Many popular histories of sound art trace it back to early Italian Futurist performances by Filippo Marinetti and Luigi Russolo or the American John Cage.
- Initially influenced by Cubist and Futurist conceptions of space and dynamics, he joined the avant-garde, exhibiting with the Berlin Sezession in 1914.
2Relating to a vision of the future, especially one involving the development of technology: the grim urban setting of the novel would have been a futurist nightmare
More example sentences
- In the futurist vision, pulses from e-bombs cause anything that contains computer chips to wheeze to a halt, winning without widespread devastation and allowing low-cost reconstruction - just replace the chips!
- But all Laurens's play, which has already finished its brief run, proves is that classical myth and futurist nightmare make queasily strange bedfellows.
- Apparently, even futurist visionaries like turkey.
Words that rhyme with futuristminiaturist
Definition of futurist in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.